Juniper repot

I repotted a small needle juniper today. It was purchased 6 months ago in a plastic nursery can. The tree was rootbound in the can and I was curious to see how the roots looked like.

Here's how it looked before:




First I sawed off about a litre of roots and dirt from the bottom. Then I let it rest in a bucket of water for a couple of hours to soften the rootball a bit. It was a very tangled mess of roots left but with a lot of force and more cutting it looked like this:



I put it back in the bucket and prepared the pot, placed the tree, tied it with wire and covered with more cat litter (moler) and watered.



End result:



I can't figure out how to style this tree... I might bring it to a club meeting to get some help/ideas. The pot is of course too big but it will be good for now, when it has stabilized and I know how I want to style it it will be taken down to a much smaller pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment