Planting medium

Repotting season is here. I don't plan to repot as many trees as last year but there is still 2 maples, a crab apple, an euronymus, a carpinus and fir to take care of. This is what I use for planting medium in bonsai pots and also for houseplants:
 Cat litter from the stores Coop and Willy's made from Danish moler, a fiered clay from Damolin A/S in Denmark. Cheap, works well and is easily obtained.
The one to the left is the variety from Willy's (Eldorado Kattsand). It is bigger in sizes between 3-6 mm and the one to the right is Coop X-tra, sizes 1-3 mm.
The larger I use for larger trees or pots, sometimes as drainage layer as well.
The smaller is used for smaller trees/pots and as top layer.

I have tried to mix in organics sometimes, bark & peat and it has worked well but I don't see any reason for it unless the tree need mychorizza. Usually I just pour it in the pot straight from the bag. It drains well and looks ok. See more info on cat litter for bonsai at bonsai4me.com.
.

2 comments:

  1. Jag använder samma sort från Coop, men den andra har jag inte sett. Måste kolla om vi har nån Willysbutik i närheten, det kan ju vara bra med de där större kornen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jag använder den från Eldorado med stor framgång :) Den hittar jag på hemköp också.
    Kittydama!

    ReplyDelete